From Day 1, students will embark on a learning-by-doing journey featuring theoretical and reflective learning sessions by The Change School, inspiration talks by leaders and experts within Singapore’s impact ecosystem, team projects, excursions, coaching and mentorship. Day 10 culminates in a final Demo Day for students to present and pitch their ideas and solutions.
Social Business Innovation Course 2017 is designed to introduce the basic principles, philosophies, methodologies and strategic approach to creating impact through business. The experience provides students with exposure to real-world challenges, perspectives and insights to the business of social innovation. This unique program equips students with the essential knowledge, skills, tools and mindset to become impact-driven leaders of tomorrow.
The course has now been postponed to the later part of 2017. Stay tuned to find out more!
Co-Founder of The Change School
Born in the US, to Taiwanese and Ethiopian parents, Solonia has lived and worked in the US and Asia, Solonia considers herself a citizen of the world.Following a 10 year career in Academia, SMEs and MNCs, Solonia embarked on her entrepreneurial journey with the founding of SolWorks (2012) and community initiatives. Her Life/Work is dedicated to enabling others to take action with clarity, resilience and purpose. Solonia is a UWCSEA graduate from the Class of 2001.
Co-founder of The Change School
Born in Indonesia, to Australian and Indonesian parents, Grace has lived in Asia for nearly 20 years with a firm understanding on the region’s challenges and opportunities.Grace is interested in social change and innovation. She was a mentor for The Hub Singapore and DBS Social Venture Challenge 2014. Grace was also from the UWCSEA Class of 2001.
Important Skills and Takeaways
What will participants be learning?
- What is a Social Business and what are the key challenges and opportunities in this evolving sector, including career opportunities and trajectories.
- Basic principles of Design Thinking as an approach to Social Innovation, including root-cause analysis, creative problem-solving, developing a vision/mission statement, Theory of Change and measuring impact.
- Business Model Canvas as a structural framework for Social Innovation, including idea-generation, critical thinking, and designing activity systems and solutions
- Critical knowledge, skills and tools for collaborative project management, strategic planning, storytelling and idea pitching
How will participants learn?
- Bite-Sized Modules:
Each module incorporates theoretical presentations, peer discussions and hands-on activities for collaborative and active learning
- Experiential Learning:
Students will apply their learnings immediately through immersion, interactions with invited speakers and interviews with social businesses
New ideas, perspectives and lessons are put into practice immediately through group activities and project-based team work
- Real-World Businesses Challenges:
Students will discover, hear and learn from talks and conversations with experts, founders and leaders in the impact ecosystem
What will participants get at the end of the course?
- Solid foundation and understanding of Social Business/Entrepreneurship – challenges, opportunities and potential career opportunities within the sector
- Exposure, new connections and potential pathways to internship / career opportunities within the social business / impact sector
- Essential knowledge, tools, skills and competencies for any business-related pursuits
- Social Business Innovation Tool Kit
- Pitch-ready Project Plan
- Social Business Innovation Course Certificate
- Enriching experiences and friendships to last a lifetime!
For a more detailed breakdown of the course, you may view or download the schedule at this link:
Location of the Course
IDEAS Hub at UWCSEA Dover Campus will be the main venue for the course.The IDEAS Hub provides a variety of facilities and specialist areas including collaboration and fabrication zones, a coding and robotics area, two green screen film studios and a non-intrusive presentation space. There is a deliberate policy to start small with equipment and furniture and to purchase additional items over time as the needs of the users emerge.
The Impact HUB is Singapore’s largest community of entrepreneurs, creatives and techies. They are a co-working space and community located in the heart of Singapore’s museum, arts and design precinct. Impact Hub Singapore offers mentorship, incubation, workshops, events, networking and corporate innovation labs.
Important Information for Parents
Parents are welcome to visit their children during the course. They can sit in on the sessions as observers. The best time to be involved is on the last day, Demo Day. Parents are welcome (and encouraged) to hear and support the student team pitches and presentations on Demo Day!
This is a 2 week non residential course. Please do arrange transport to and from UWCSEA Dover Campus during the duration of the course.
Fees and Refund Policy
The fees for this camp is SGD$1560.00.
All participants will be receiving a toolkit for Social Business, Certification of Participation and quality food (breakfast snack, lunch, afternoon snack).The fees include food, transportation for site visits and a lead instructor as well as guest speakers and mentors.
To register for the camp, you will need to make a Non-Refundable SGD$200 deposit.
Only in the event that there are not enough participants for the camp, the deposit will be refunded.
For more information please contact Melanie Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org